Friday, April 12, 2013

Lung Draining and Chemo and Colds, Oh My!

This wins for worst titled (and probably least inspired) blog I may ever compose.  Forgive me, for I have a cold.  Apparently, I can't hang out in hospitals without getting sick.  Who knew?

Anyway...here's the quick update on Mom...she had an appointment with her Pulmonologist this past Tuesday, but was having a lot of trouble breathing.  I almost had to beat a lady up to give me a wheelchair so I could even get her TO the appointment (true story--and I would have done it if she didn't give up the chair).


So, after the doctor sees her and gives her an x-ray, we learn that MORE gross fluid goop had built up under her left lung, and, surprise surprise, it needed to be drained.  Nothing is ever easy, huh?

Well, it ended up being for the best...because she was admitted to the hospital and got the procedure done that afternoon.  Her breathing was better almost instantly, even though it's a really crappy painful procedure.

The other good thing that came out of this was her getting her first chemo treatment at the hospital.  Her oncologist *assured* us it would be like "Staying at the Ritz."  THAT wasn't entirely true, BUT, it brought me lots of comfort and peace of mind knowing she'd be so closely monitored for her first treatment.  She was also able to do it all in one day, instead of having it spread over two days as originally planned.  And you know what, ya'll?  She was a champ!  She did so good.  She was worn out afterwards, of course, but she has handled it really well.  This is a good sign, considering everyone says the first treatment is the one your body reacts to the most!

They decided to monitor her all day/night yesterday, and after walking a lap with a nurse this morning, she was released.  She's at home as I type this, likely still snuggled up with her kitties that don't even know that there is a life to be lived when she's not around.

Fia is in the box, and her brother Fritz does in fact, have two different colored eyes.
Although one is not usually bionic red.

Anyway--those are the updates for now; we will be heading to Mom's tomorrow to spend the day/night with her since pops is leaving for a trip to California early in the morning.  The doctors have told her to make sure she gets up and does things, but doesn't over do it.  So...husband and I will be there to take care of anything that would be considered over-doing!

Oh, one more thing!  In case you missed my Facebook post, my Dad designed a shirt that folks can buy in support of Mom.  It's not a fundraiser or anything, just something fun to show support.  Click this link to check it out!  Go Team Cynthia!!!

Ok--back to the couch for me.  Fluids, rest and over the counter medications are the magic formula for this cold, so I'm told.

Hugs,
S


No comments:

Post a Comment