Monday, March 23, 2015

The One Thing You Still Haven't Done

Not too many moons ago, I was on a major cleaning kick.  (I still am, but I've slowed down due to the fact that I'm a now Pommy Mommy!)  And by major, I mean borderline psychotic.  It started with the pantry (I found something in there from 2002.  Seriously...we've only lived in this house since 2010).  Then, I ended up in the guest and master linen closets...the coat closet...all the closets...every drawer....

I'm not entirely sure what made me start purging, but once I started, I couldn't stop.

We have seriously taken at least 6 million loads of stuff to Goodwill, and tossed countless bags of trash out the window.  (Not really though; I took them in the garage and nicely placed them in the trash can.)  I couldn't tell you half of what was in those bags.


It's crazy to think how all that stuff has just been piling up in closets and drawers over the years; forgotten, not used, not needed.

What's crazier is how much STUFF I still have in my possession.  I want to get rid of MORE stuff. There's something FREEING about it.  And while organized drawers and closets are extremely satisfying to my not-so-subtle neat freak tendencies, I'm surprised at how my perspective on STUFF has shifted.

I could probably fashion one of these.

But this perspective shift didn't happen all at once, of course.  Life is a journey, and I am learning to go through it, enjoy it, and listen and look for God's voice; His blessings, all the things I have to be thankful for.  Our church and our small group have had a huge impact on these efforts in various ways over the past several months.

What I've found is disgust at the attitudes I've had toward stuff; wanting more, spending time thinking about what I want, constantly feeling like there isn't enough money to have all the stuff I want.  I justified those thoughts for a long time, but I never felt right about them.  That's Jesus, people.  The still small voice.  The whisper that you just might miss if you are too focused on the noise.  On the STUFF.

I remember when I thought we'd NEVER be able to buy a house. 
 
My justifications for my bad attitude (and frankly--even the IDEA that I would want more) are all wrecked in the face of what goes on in just about every other part of the world.  When you realize that by the standards of the entire world--YOU ARE RICH...YOU...ME, things start to change.

Is this making you uncomfortable?  It probably should.
 
Seriously, think about all the people who have no stuff.  This forces me to compare--and think about how much stuff I STILL have--even after all my purging.  It seems ridiculous and offensive to want anything more; not only after getting rid of so much, but when you make it a daily practice to have a global perspective.  If you have heating and air, a car, a job, food in your pantry...you are RICH, my friend.

 

I'm embracing the uncomfortable feeling I get when I think about what people are living with in other parts of this world.  Because it's keeping me real and grounded and honest.  We get so caught up in our busy lives, going off to work to pay for all our stuff and get more stuff.  No wonder Jesus said it was so hard for rich people to get into heaven!  We've put our faith in money and things.  We NEED that nicer car, that bigger house, more shoes, more clothes! We think that it's OK for us to hoard things and acquire and shove aside the uncomfortable thought that other people live in huts and only own one pair of shoes.  We might acknowledge it, but we don't live our daily lives with those people on our hearts.

Do you ever wonder what you would do?  If you were the rich man in Mark 10:17-32 who asked Jesus what he had to do to have eternal life?  This was a good dude.  He followed the 10 commandments.  He was there, in front of Jesus, seeking, asking Him questions.  I think many of us stop there.  We ask Him, but we don't wait around to hear the answer because it makes us uncomfortable. Maybe the things we've been pursuing AREN'T the blessings God really meant to give us.



Jesus told him, "There is still one thing you haven't done."  Sell everything you own, and come follow me.  That was the answer.  The man was rich, and he went away sad.  He was standing in front of Jesus....JESUS!  And he went away sad; holding onto his stuff so tightly that he couldn't see what he was giving up. I often wonder what I would do.

The disciples were incredulous--if this rich guy who, by the way, was a GREAT guy, can't get into heaven...who can be saved?  Jesus said, "Humanly speaking, it is impossible.  But with God, all things are possible."

WITH GOD.  That's the key.

I'm not saying I think we should all give away everything we own, rather, we Americans, in this land of plenty, ought to really examine our hearts and be honest with ourselves about our STUFF.  With GOD, all things are possible.  We can even get over our attachment to stuff.  We can be more interested in knowing Him and being like Him than we are in what STUFF He might bless us with next.  We can stop, realize we are ALREADY RICH, and look around at all the wonderful blessings in the here and now.  Sunsets!  Oceans!  Family!  Friends!  New leaves on the trees in the Spring! We can live life fully WITH GOD instead of tied down by STUFF.  Freedom indeed.



It's human nature to compare ourselves to those around us; we all do it in some way or another.  But if I am to compare myself at all, I want to compare myself with those who have LESS--not MORE. Those who are dying for what I already have.  More and more, I'm believing that having less stuff is deepening my relationship with God.  Because every time I let go of something I don't really need, I'm reaffirming that He is all I truly need.  THIS is the best way to live.  Just ask the Jesus-followers around the world who have nothing.





Hugs,
S




No comments:

Post a Comment